Saturday, February 14, 2015

Valentines Day 2015


I  think that Valentines is an over-commercialized holiday…  I don't want jewelry, flowers or a romantic dinner.  I do however think it is a perfect excuse to celebrate love and be with the ones you adore!  #anyexcuseforaparty.

When my babies were little I read the book Happier at Home by Gretchen Rubin.  I love, love, loved it!  My favorite line that sums up the book is "I wanted to make my home happier by appreciating how much happiness was already there."

One of the things she chose to do in her journey for a happier home was to celebrate minor holidays by having a festive breakfast.  Because I already enjoyed celebrating, I decided to make this a Valentines tradition in our family.  After the kids go to bed, I decorate the kitchen so when they wake up it is a surprise.  I don't spend a lot of time or money and just do the kitchen.  Then I will have a Valentines breakfast for them!




I found the breakfast idea from Pinterest.  (Of course!)  Free printables from the blog Love the Day.

Briellen, Sidney and Luke

Ivy and Mitchell

Ivy and Daddy
Because Valentines Day was on a Saturday, I served a heart-y lunch.

Sidney and Brie inherited my love of decorating and pulled all of the decorations out of the kitchen and decorated the living room.  They decided that they needed to have a Valentines Party for their friends.


 So we had to make treats.  Back to Pinterest for Valentines Rice Krispy Treats!  Ivy ALWAYS helps me in the kitchen because she gets to snitch as she helps.


And of course cupcakes must be made...
Another Helper...


We went to our favorite noodle house Pho Binh for dinner because I was done being creative!  {And I had champagne in the cul-de-sac with my girls and didn't feel like cooking!}

It's ironic that Stephen and I would have our biggest fight in 10 years on Valentines day, but that's how it happened.  {hence no pics of us.}  Marriage is hard work… It isn't all butterflies in your tummy and sweet romantic kisses.  It is saying I'm sorry when your pride tells you he needs to say it first.  It is saying and meaning "I forgive you" when you want to hold on to the hurt.  Marriage isn't always pretty, but I've learned that God uses these moments to bring you closer to each other and Him.




In Happier at Home, she also talks about creating a "Shrine" of her family with pictures that recall happy memories.  She felt like the picture frames that she had in her normal decor were being walked by without notice.  So she created Holiday photo galleries for Halloween and Valentines Day.  I copied her for Valentines day and I have to say I love seeing these pictures up… love seeing how the babies have grown and changed.  I will definitely do this for other holidays as well.
8 Months, Our Engagement Pic,  4 Years

Hope your Valentines Day was filled with lots of love and laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
SITE DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS